The vice president public relations is the fourth ranking club officer and is responsible for
developing and directing a publicity program that informs individual members and the general
public about Toastmasters International. The vice president public relations chairs the public
Everything you do must support the Club Mission:
We provide a supportive and positive learning experience in which members are empowered to
develop communication and leadership skills, resulting in greater self-confidence and personal
The main responsibilities of the VP Public Relations are:
- Publicise the club
- Keep the website current
- Safeguard the Toastmasters Brand, Trademarks, and Copyrights
Before the Club Meeting:
- Verify that the club’s themes, meeting times, and location are current for the following week.
- Order promotional materials for distribution by members.
During the Club Meeting:
- Distribute promotional materials to members for distribution at their workplace, school, etc.
- Report the results of public relations efforts, bringing newspaper clippings, printouts, and so
on to share with the club.
- Announce the commencement of public relations campaigns.
Outside the Club Meeting
- Publicize the Toastmasters brand.
- Promote the club to local media.
- Maintain a club website.
- Join a Toastmasters-moderated social networking website.
- Produce and distribute a club newsletter, preferably via email.
- Promote membership programs.
- Attend club executive committee meetings.
- Arrange for a replacement if unable to attend a club meeting.
- Prepare your successor for office.
Responsibilities at the Executive Committee Meetings
- Provide a report on your public relations efforts since the last Executive Committee meeting.
- Propose new ideas to promote the club.
The following resources are available to assist you in your role:
- Club Leadership Handbook (https://www.toastmasters.org/resources/club-leadership-handbook)
- Vice President Public Relations Training Video (link here)
- District 17 Website
- District Public Relations Manager
- Club Officer Training
- The Brand Manual (https://www.toastmasters.org/Resources/Resource-Library?t=brand%20manual)
Opportunities for Skill Development as a Vice President Public Relations
As a Club Vice President Public Relations you will have the opportunity to develop the following skills:
- Media Relations
- Graphic Design - ask the District leaders for a free Canva account.
- Event Planning
- Motivation Skills
- Organisational Skills
- Leadership Skills
The Next Step
Once you finish your term as the club’s Vice President Public Relations you might like to take on
another committee role where you can continue to grow your leadership and interpersonal skills.
- The Vice President Public Relations is responsible for publicising the club internally and
- You are responsible to protect and promote the Toastmasters Brand.
- Along with the entire executive committee they are responsible to deliver a positive member experience, achieve goals, drive membership growth and look for future leaders.
You can download the above information in a PDF format here:
Help with your Club Website
A well designed front page is an effective membership recruiting aid.
Have a look at this file for help with designing your front page